Assessment 3 Information
Subject Code: DATA4700
Subject Name: Digital Marketing and Competitive Advantage
Assessment Title: Competitive Advantage Analytics Report
Assessment Type: Report (1500) + Statement of Intent (200)
Word Count: 1700 Words (+/-10%)
Weighting: 35 %
Total Marks: 35
Due Date: Monday 11:55pm AEDT, Week 13
• You have been engaged as a consultant to advise Matrix Education, an online and brick & mortar education company that provides extra-curricular education support services to primary, secondary students as well as facilitation for select entry exams. Matrix
Education is looking for your advice on how to enhance their digital marketing approaches, in particular, what strategies they can implement to secure comparative and economies of scale advantages in the highly competitive and dynamic online education sector.
• The first steps in your consulting services to Matrix is to read the company’s teaching philosphy, and to visit their website:
o Aspirational Teachers: https://www.matrix.edu.au/teachers/ o Matrix Education website: https://www.matrix.edu.au/
• COVID-19 measures have severely impacted live events and gatherings - including the ability to deliver face to face tuition. However, it has provided Matrix with incredible structural opportunities to advance their online presence and seriously disrupt the extracurricular education sector. Matrix is looking to you to provide expertise on how they position themselves for success in the future.
• An individual report of 1,500 words, +/- 10%
• Analysis of a live case study
• Based on the case study, make recommendations on customer segmentation, targeting and product positioning; using the marketing mix to engage with the target segment; pricing tactics; marketing costs; customer relationship management and acquisition; and A/B testing and multivariate testing to pursue. • Learning outcomes: LO1, LO4, LO5
Your report should have the following headings and address the topics below:
1. Introduction: A brief summary of the situation in the case study and what you, as a consultant, have been tasked with doing for your client
2. Data: An indication of:
- What data you already have available in this case
- What further data you would like to receive from the client
- What additional data you will have to collect for your consulting work
3. STP: Your recommendations on:
- How to approach segmenting the market
- Which segment you wish to target
- How to position Matrix Education for that target segment
4. Marketing mix: After you have positioned Matrix Education, indicate:
- What the product should be (e.g., should it remain as is, or do you have suggestions on how to change it to pursue a stronger competitive advantage?)
- How you will promote the product to the market (e.g., using your digital assets)
- The place that customers should access the product (e.g., digital channels of distribution)
- Pricing strategy for the product (e.g., tactics to use; understanding value to the customer)
5. Marketing costs: What fixed, variable and marginal costs are most relevant to this case study?
6. Customer relationships: Your recommendations on:
- What Matrix Education should do with customer relationship management - What Matrix Education can do to acquire new customers
7. A/B testing and Multivariate testing: State what A/B testing and multivariate testing you would like to conduct, and why
8. Conclusion: Summarise the most important recommendations you are proposing that Matrix Education should address first, and what metrics Matrix Education should look at to understand whether your advice has produced beneficial outcomes
9. Statement of Intent: You will write a short statement of intent which addresses: (1) who your target audience is for the report and (2) what techniques have you used to connect with that audience and improve the readability of your report for that audience.
Other sources to read as you begin to consider tackling this Matrix Education case study:
“How is Online Entertainment Developing in 2020?”
“The 5 Best Online Entertainment Options (That Aren’t Netflix)”
“EdTech 2030: Data, Disruption, and Decentralization”
“Post-Covid-19 Education and Education Technology ‘Solutionism’: a Seller’s Market” https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s42438-020-00164-x
Unlocking Networks: the next decade in education
Please also ensure you use 4-6 of your own sources.
Important Study Information
Academic Integrity Policy
KBS values academic integrity. All students must understand the meaning and consequences of cheating, plagiarism and other academic offences under the Academic Integrity and Conduct Policy.
What is academic integrity and misconduct?
What are the penalties for academic misconduct?
What are the late penalties?
How can I appeal my grade?
Click here for answers to these questions:
Word Limits for Written Assessments
Submissions that exceed the word limit by more than 10% will cease to be marked from the point at which that limit is exceeded.
Students may seek study assistance from their local Academic Learning Advisor or refer to the resources on the MyKBS Academic Success Centre page. Click here for this information.
Assessment Marking Guide
Section Criteria Marks
Provide an overview of the current situation with respect to live events, online entertainment and COVID-19 restrictions; and how they relate to Matrix Education
Realistic indication of what data are currently available, what data might be reasonably requested from the client, and what data will need to be collected externally
Sensible approach to how to segment the market, which segment to target, and how to position Matrix Education’s product for that target segment of customers
An integrated marketing mix of product, promotion, place and price
Marketing costs Identification of fixed, variable and marginal costs relevant to Matrix Education’s operations
Customer relationships Proposal of actionable tactics that should be used for customer relationship management and acquisition 4 marks
A/B Testing and
Testing Recommendations on what A/B testing and multivariate testing should be done, on Matrix Education’s actual marketing assets 5 marks
Evaluation of what the most important recommendations are that the client should address first, and what metrics will indicate whether success has been achieved
Presentation and referencing
Evidence of research using 4-6 relevant sources, and appropriate referencing throughout; a consideration for the client of the report, their needs and objectives.
Page 8 Kaplan Business School Assessment Outline