1. Reference Format: Follow IEEE referencing style
2. All Figures & tables should be referred to in main body of the text.
• Numbers all tables and Figures in order they first appear in the text
• Refer to them in the text by their number: for Example – As shown in table 1 or as illustrated in figure 2 or table 1 presents
3. Conclusion includes the purpose, the main investigated points.
Structural Design Part 1 – Advanced Topics on Reinforced Concrete Design
Project Description (50 marks)
You are required to design a 3-storey office building located in Melbourne.
The building has a flat plate floor system with no beam.
• Live load: 3.5 kPa
• Sustained dead load: 2 kPa
• No lateral load
• Exposure classification: Office building located in Melbourne
• Span length: 7.5 m x 7.5 m
• Floor height 3 m
• Allowable soil bearing capacity: 270 kPa
• Concrete strength, fc’= 30 MPa
• Use N bar only with 500 MPa
• Consider 90 minutes fire rating period
• Limit the total slab deflection to ?????/ = 1/250
1. Decide the concrete cover for slab, column and footing considering the exposure classification as per AS3600. (3 marks)
2. Design the flat plate slab and show the reinforcement detailing on a plan view and two cross-sections i.e. x- and y- directions. (15 marks)
(Hint: only three panels represent the whole slab: one corner, one edge and one interior)
3. Design the columns where the load is critical from the load combinations and show the reinforcement in cross section. (10 marks)
(Hint: only three columns represent all: one corner, one edge and one interior).
4. Carry out punching shear check and design additional shear reinforcement if necessary.
(Hint: only three columns represent all: one corner column, one edge column and one interior column).
5. Design the footings and show the reinforcement detailing on plan view and 2 cross-sections i.e. x- and y- directions. (12 marks)
(Hint: only three footings represent all: one corner, one edge and one interior columns).
Note: For each concrete element, reinforcement detailing should be as per AS3600.