Subject Code and Title PUBH6008: Capstone A: Applied Research Project in Public Health
Assessment Assessment 3: Research proposal
Length 2,000 words
Learning Outcomes This assessment addresses the following learning outcomes:
2. Integrate and apply their knowledge and skills in public health
3. Develop research skills and apply these to a public health issue
4. Conduct a small literature review which critically analyses key issues on a public health research topic
5. Define and justify a research question, based on the literature/public health issue, and outline its significance
7. Understand the principles of ethics and apply these to a research proposal
Submission By 11:55pm AEST/AEDT Sunday of Week 12
Total Marks 100 marks
This assessment is prescribed to advance literature searching, critical analysis, research question development, and research planning and project management skills.
This assessment involves developing a research question, conducting a thorough literature review, defining a gap in the literature, expressing a research question, describing the methodology and methods that will be used to answer the research question, and developing a GANTT chart to guide use of time in Capstone B.
It assesses the key understanding necessary for conceptualising and developing a research proposal, which will prepare you for the use of research methods as a public health practitioner.
By the end of Module 6, students will submit their full project proposal. This must include the following sections:
introductory background regarding the public health problem, including broad project aim Literature review describing the current knowledge on this topic, the key ideas, theories, and issues, and the gap/conflict that your project will resolve.
start with broad knowledge; narrow focus to your population and issue of interest
end with your research question/project aim, and a justification of the significance of the
Project design and methods
the method you will use to address your project aims
a detailed explanation of each step you will take to complete your project (including data type, collection, and analysis for research projects)
justification of your project design - why is this the right way to address your project aims?
ethical considerations of the project
how you plan to communicate and disseminate the outcomes of your work
your reference list
Please submit your Capstone B GANTT chart, which should describe the tasks and time-frames for your project tasks in Capstone B, as a separate Excel spreadsheet.
Students will also receive marks for progression within their project plan as described in the Gantt chart, as presented in weekly guidance meetings with their facilitator throughout the trimester.
• Clanty of research problem and rationale provided for its significance (15%)
• Critical and comprehensive review of the literature (15%)
• Justification of research design and methods. Including ethical considerations (30%)
• Logical and clear program plan using the GANTT chart method (10%)
• Progression demonstrated through attendance at weekly progress meetings with facilitator (10%)
• General assessment cnteria (20%):
o Provides a lucid introduction
o Shows a sophisticated understanding ofthe key Issues
o Shows ability to interpret relevant information and literature in relation to chosen topic
o Demonstratesacapacitytoexplainand apply relevant concepts
o Shows evidence of reading beyond the required readings
o Justifies any conclusions reached with well-formed arguments and not merely
o Provides a conclusion or summary
o Correctly uses academic writing, presentation and grammar: