Details of Assessment
Term and Year Time allowed
Assessment No 1 Assessment Weighting 70%
Assessment Type Written Reports
Due Date Room
Details of Subject
Qualification SIT50416 Diploma in Hospitality Management
Subject Name Client Relations
Details of Unit(s) of competency
Unit Code (s) and Names SITXCOM005 Manage Conflict
SITXWHS003 Implement and Monitor work health and safety practices
Details of Student
College Student ID
Student Declaration: I declare that the work submitted is my own and has not been copied or plagiarised from any person or source. I acknowledge that I understand the requirements to complete the assessment tasks. I am also aware of my right to appeal. The feedback session schedule and reassessment procedure were explained to me. Student’s
Details of Assessor
Assessment Result 0 Competent 0 Not Yet Competent
Feedback to Student
Progressive feedback to students, identifying gaps in competency and comments on positive improvements:
Assessor Declaration: I declare that I have conducted a fair, valid, reliable and flexible assessment with this student.
0 Student attended the feedback session.
0 Student did not attend the feedback session.
Purpose of the Assessment
The purpose of this assessment is to assess the student in the following learning outcomes: Competent
(C) Not Yet Competent
SITXCOM005 - Manage conflict
1.1. Identify potential for conflict and take swift and tactful action to prevent escalation.
1.2. Identify situations where personal safety of customers or colleagues may be threatened and organise appropriate assistance.
1.3. Identify and use resources to assist in managing conflict.
2.1. Establish and agree on the nature and details of conflict with all parties and assess impact.
2.2. Manage conflict within scope of own role and responsibilities, and according to organisational procedures.
2.3. Take responsibility for seeking a solution to conflict within scope of own role and responsibilities, seeking assistance where required.
2.4. Identify and evaluate impact of conflict on business reputation and legal liability.
2.5. Evaluate options to resolve the conflict, taking into account organisational policies and constraints.
2.6. Implement the best solution and complete required reports.
3.1. Communicate with parties involved to seek and provide feedback on conflict and its resolution.
3.2. Evaluate and reflect on the conflict and effectiveness of the solution.
3.3. Determine possible causes of workplace conflict and provide input for workplace enhancement and improvements.
SITXWHS003 - Implement and monitor work health and safety practices
1.1. Explain relevant WHS information to personnel.
1.2. Make all current WHS information readily accessible to staff.
2.1. Monitor adherence to organisational WHS procedures.
2.2. Monitor ongoing compliance with safe work practices.
2.3. Take prompt action to address non-compliance with procedures and safe work practices.
2.4. Monitor day-to-day effectiveness of WHS practices in maintaining the health, safety and security of personnel.
3.1. Coordinate the operation of all consultative processes.
3.2. Provide opportunity for staff members to contribute their views on current and future WHS management practices.
3.3. Resolve or refer issues raised through WHS consultation to the appropriate person.
3.4. Provide timely staff and own feedback on WHS management practices to the designated person.
4.1. Coordinate scheduled hazard identification activities, ensuring hazards are identified at times designated by legislation.
4.2. Identify any hazards on an ongoing basis during own day-to-day workplace operations.
4.3. React to reports of hazards by other workers, and coordinate and participate in risk assessments.
4.4. Implement any risk control methods or refer to appropriate person if control is outside scope of responsibility.
4.5. Monitor effectiveness of control measures, promptly identify any inadequacies, and resolve or report them to the appropriate person.
5.1. Identify WHS training needs based on regular staff monitoring.
5.2. Make arrangements for fulfilling training needs.
5.3. Monitor effectiveness of training and make required adjustments.
6.1. Complete WHS records and reports accurately and legibly and store according to organisational and legal requirements.
6.2. Use data and reports to provide reliable and timely input into the management of workplace health, safety and security.
6.3. Minimise use of printed materials and maximise electronic transmission and filing of all documents to reduce waste.
Assessment / evidence gathering conditions
Each assessment component is recorded as either Competent (C) or Not Yet Competent (NYC). A student can only achieve competence when all assessment components listed under Purpose of the assessment section are Satisfactory. Your trainer will give you feedback after the completion of each assessment. A student who is assessed as Not Yet Competent (NYC) is eligible for re-assessment.
Resources required for this Assessment
• All documents must be created in Microsoft Word
• Upon completion, submit the assessment printed copy to your trainer along with assessment coversheet
• Refer to the notes on eLearning to answer the task/s
• Any additional material will be provided by your Trainer
• Computer with relevant software applications and access to internet
• eLearning notes relevant to the tasks/questions
Instructions for Students
Please read the following instructions carefully
• This assessment has to be completed 1 In class 1 At home
• The assessment is to be completed according to the instructions given by your assessor.
• Feedback on each task will be provided to enable you to determine how your work could be improved. You will be provided with feedback on your work within two weeks of the assessment due date. All other feedback will be provided by the end of the term.
• Should you not answer the questions correctly, you will be given feedback on the results and your gaps in knowledge. You will be given another opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge and skills to be deemed competent for this unit of competency.
• If you are not sure about any aspect of this assessment, please ask for clarification from your assessor.
• Please refer to the College re-assessment policy for more information (Student handbook).
Client Relations – Assessment I
You are required to complete ALL tasks of this assignment.
Task Marks Marks Achieved
1. Identify hazards on:
Proceed to website and complete all parts of the hazard identification in the “virtual hotel”. When completed, enter your name on the website and include a copy of the provided certificate with your assignment. This can be a photo taken, attached to submission. Or it could be a print screen dump included in your assignment. Or you could use the snipping tool to copy and paste the resulting certificate in your work. In old school terms, you could even print the certificate and include it with your assignment. 20
2. WHS report on virtual hotel workplace. Use guidelines below to write a four hundred (400) word report. 25
3. Conflict and Workplace Health and Safety. Use guidelines below to write a three hundred (300) word report. 25
You are the manager for ACA Hotel in the CBD and it is your responsibility to Implement and monitor work health and safety practices in your hotel. You are responsible for noticing hazards or dealing with them and for documenting the hazards you find.
By using the link below:
Proceed to website and complete all parts of the hazard identification in the “virtual hotel”. When completed, enter your name on the website and include a copy of the provided certificate with your assignment. This can be a photo taken, attached to submission. Or it could be a print screen dump included in your assignment. Or you could use the snipping tool to copy and paste the resulting certificate in your work. In old school terms, you could even print the certificate and include it with your assignment. 20 Marks
Workplace Health and Safety Report.
You are the manager for the Virtual ACA Hotel in the CBD, as completed in Task 1 https://www.safework.sa.gov.au/resources/online-activities/introduction-to-safety-tutorial
Using three (3) examples that you found in the virtual hotel you are required to compile a written report (400-600 words) on the variety of these hazards or risks that occur in the virtual hotel. 25 Marks
Your Task is to:
In your report, include the following:
1. Write a summary that outlines at least three (3) issues/observations within the hotel.
These could include hazards or risks to either internal or external customers. These need to be identified and described so that day-to-day effectiveness of WHS practices can be monitored.
2. Describe how you can take action to resolve EACH of the issues/observations, and if you are not the appropriate person (as the manager), and what methods of communication could you use to ensure prompt action to fix/repair the Hazard/Risk.
3. Choose one of the safety issues that you have highlighted and outline how management needs to explain to all personnel, what methods of communication could you use. How would the coordination of this information ensure that consultation with stakeholders arrived in a timely manner?
4. Where would you as the manager source the correct WHS information and ensure that it is made readily available to staff. Outline 4 sources and discuss how this is done
5. Outline the employee’s responsibilities to self, other workers and other people in the workplace
6. A hotel (of the virtual agency size) is required to have a WHS committee in NSW
Outline five responsibilities of the members of the WHS committee, including what documentation that is required to be recorded and maintained.
7. As the consultation with external stakeholders and the WHS committee takes place what formal and informal methods of recording this consultation could be used.
Conflict and Workplace Health and Safety.
You are the Manager in the Virtual hotel example, a customer in the bar, approaches and seems to have been drinking and starts to be aggressive towards you. Your feel that there is potential that the customer is going to escalate a small problem. 25 Marks
Your Task is to:
Outline in a short report (200-300 words);
1. What action could you take in this case. (You are required to do a role play of similar situation in Assessment II Task 1)
2. Outline the stages or factors of conflict, relating to the customer’s aggression towards a waiter near other customers. Describe the actions or results you need to obtain.
3. What resources or tools could you legally use in this scenario?
4. If the problem is escalated to have a physical encounter between two customers, how would you deal with this and what parties would need to be notified and who would you need to provide feedback too.
5. As the manager of the bar, the owner has asked you to outline the role and responsibility you have in a similar case and who improvement you could make to ensure that the situation is not escalated.