ASSESSMENT 1 BRIEF
Subject Code and Title SHM608 Strategic Hotel Management
Assessment Strategic Briefing Paper
Length 1,500 words (+/- 10%)
Learning Outcomes The Subject Learning Outcomes demonstrated by successful completion of the task below include:
a. Understand and apply analytical tools for strategy formulation appropriate to a hotel.
b. Prepare, apply and monitor a strategic business plan for a hotel.
c. Generate, implement and justify business and marketing strategies suitable for new or continuing hotels.
d. Evaluate and justify resources, capabilities, competencies and competitive advantage for new or continuing hotels.
e. Analyse the managerial tasks associated with developing and executing organisational strategies.
f. Work effectively in teams and participate in strategic management decision-making concerning the operations of a hotel.
Submission Due by 11:55pm AEST/AEDT Monday, Week 5.
Total Marks 100 marks
Assessment 1 – Strategic Briefing Paper (Individual) Task Summary
In this assessment, you will need to create a one-year strategic plan for your ‘HOTS’ hotel. Within this, you must include the following: Conduct a critical analysis of the micro and macro environment that the hotel was in when your team took over management. Argue how your intended overarching strategy will translate into strategic direction for the three levels of management. Within this, you must also demonstrate how this will inform your strategic direction (mission and vision, CSR, Ethics and Objectives and Goals). And lastly, provide practical examples in the different HOTS Decision Categories as to how your overarching strategy will be applied within the first year.
You must utilize at least three (3) theoretical models to either critically analyse the hotel environment or to produce strategic recommendations for the hotel. Please support each of your recommendations with justifications.
SHM608 Assessment 1, Individual Report Brief Page 1 of 4
Prepare a 1,500-word brief based on the environmental assessment and your recommended strategy/s for the first year. You must demonstrate strong critical arguments, justified through at least three key strategic management theories, as mentioned above. Discuss and critically evaluate the practicality of your over-arching strategy (vision, mission, etc.). These must be cohesive with your environmental analysis. Make practical recommendations in relation to all the decision categories from the HOTS simulation (e.g., Rates, Rev. Mgt., F&B, etc.).
The brief must be presented in a Business Report structure and to a standard that would be used in a real-world environment. You are to assume this briefing paper applies to your HOTS hotel.
• Word Count: 1,500 words (exceeding 10% over this will result in a reduction of a grade, e.g., a credit will become a pass)
• Style: Business Report
• Refer to the Assessment Structure Style Guide for further format requirements.
It is essential that you use appropriate APA style for citing and referencing research. Please see more information on referencing here in the Academic Writing Guide found via the Academic Skills website.
1. Please submit your report in the format as prescribed above in Word document to: Blackboard SHM608 folder ‘Individual Assessment’ by 11:55pm on the Monday of Week 5.
2. Your assignment must include a minimum of twelve (12) scholarly references.
All students are responsible for ensuring that all work submitted is their own and is appropriately referenced and academically written according the Academic Writing Guide. Students also need to have read and be aware of Torrens University Australia Academic Integrity Policy and Procedure and subsequent penalties for academic misconduct. These are viewable online.
Students also must keep a copy of all submitted material and any assessment drafts.
SHM608 Assessment 1, Individual Report Brief Page 2 of 4
Assessment Attributes Fail
(Yet to achieve minimum standard) 0-49% Pass
(Proficient) 65-74% Distinction
75-84% High Distinction
Use of literature/evidence of reading
• 20% weighting • Either no evidence of literature being consulted or irrelevant to the assignment set. • Literature is presented uncritically, in a purely descriptive way and indicates limitations of understanding. • Clear evidence and application of readings relevant to the subject; uses indicative texts identified. • Able to critically appraise the literature and theory gained from a variety of sources, developing own ideas in the process. • Has developed and justified using own ideas based on a wide range of sources which have been thoroughly analysed, applied and discussed.
Knowledge of theory
• 20% weighting • Inaccurate or inappropriate choice of theory. • Selection of theory is appropriate, but some aspects have been missed or misconstrued. • Most key theories are included in the work in an appropriate straightforward manner. • Insightful and appropriate selection of theory in key areas. • Assignment demonstrates integration and innovation in the selection and handling of theory.
• 20% weighting • Fails to analyse information. • Can analyse a limited range of information with guidance using classification / principles. • Can analyse with guidance using given classification / principles. • Can analyse a range of information with minimum guidance, can apply major theories and compare alternative methods/techniques for obtaining data. • Can analyse new and/or abstract data and situations without guidance using a wide range of techniques appropriate to the topic.
• 20% weighting • Unsubstantiated/invalid conclusions based on anecdote and generalisation only, or no conclusions at all • Limited evidence of findings and conclusions supported by theory/literature. • Evidence of findings and conclusions grounded in theory/literature. • Good development shown in summary of arguments based in theory/literature. • Analytical and clear conclusions well-grounded in theory and literature showing development of new concepts.
Presentation and Referencing
• 20% weighting • Unsatisfactory level of presentation quality.
• None or almost no photos, diagrams etc.
• Incompetent level of understanding of relevant software.
• No evidence of any significant idea for presentation.
• Incorrect citing.
• No and/or very poor reference list. • Presentation quality to a minimal level.
• Somewhat reasonable level of graphic use: very few photos, diagrams etc. however no context.
• Very little evidence of an idea for the presentation.
• Somewhat reasonable understanding of the relevant software.
• Incorrect citing.
• Poor reference list. • Presentation quality to a competent level.
• Reasonable level of graphic use, some photos, diagrams, drawings etc.
• Reasonable evidence of an idea for presentation.
• Reasonable understanding of the relevant software.
• Appropriate citing and reference list. • Very effective presentation quality.
• Good use of graphics.
• Good level of understanding of the relevant software.
• Good citing and reference list. • Variety of sources • Excellent use of graphics (photos, diagrams, tools etc.)
• Superior understanding of the relevant software.
• Extremely creative presentation ideas well resolved and implemented.
• Excellent citing and reference list.
• Wide variety of quality sources.
Mark range out of 100 0- 49.5 50 - 64 65 -74 75-84 85+
SHM608 Assessment 1, Individual Report Brief Page 3 of 4
The following Subject Learning Outcomes are addressed in this assessment
SLO a) Understand and apply analytical tools for strategy formulation appropriate to a hotel.
SLO b) Prepare, apply and monitor a strategic business plan for a hotel.
SLO c) Generate, implement and justify business and marketing strategies suitable for new or continuing hotels.
SLO d) Evaluate and justify resources, capabilities, competencies and competitive advantage for new or continuing hotels.
SLO e) Analyse the managerial tasks associated with developing and executing organisational strategies.
SLO f) Work effectively in teams and participate in strategic management decision-making concerning the operations of a hotel.
SHM608 Assessment 1, Individual Report Brief Page 4 of 4