Due Date: 16-May-2022
Return Date: 08-Jun-2022
Group Assessment: No
Submission method options: Alternative submission method
back to top
Total Marks: 50
There are two types of questions: Part A- Essay questions and Part B: Simulation questions. Please complete all the questions and submit your word or PDF file PLUS packet tracer file via Turnitin before the due date. Where you refer to external sources of information they should be correctly referenced according to APA 7th style.
Part A (15 marks)
Question 1 of Part A: (12 marks)
In your computer, please use appropriate CMD commands to find the answer to the following questions:
a) IP addresses are the logical identifier of devices in networks. What is the IP address of the default gateway of your computer? (1 mark) Why do we need it? (1 mark)
b) Ping your default gateway and ping www.cisco.com. Once successful, please screenshot the ping results and elaborate on the ping process based on the OSI model you have learned. (4 marks)
c) Given the subnet mask of your PC, what are the highest IP address and the lowest IP address you can get? (please show your workings, 2 marks)
d) What is the link-local IPv6 address? (1 mark) Why do we need it? (1 mark)
Question 2 of Part A: (3 marks)
What difference does it make to the network layer if the underlying data link layer provides a connection-oriented service versus a connectionless service? (3 marks)
Part B: (35 marks)
A small business, Smart Office Services Pty Ltd, has its central office (HQ) and two branch offices (Branch 1 and Branch 2) linked via serial leased lines using routers. The network topology is given as follows. It is required that:
1) You will be assigned a single network to configure this network.
2) For the IP address you are starting, use the last 4 digits of your student ID as the first two octets of your network address. Keep other bits the same as shown in the addressing table and the figure below. For example, if your student ID is 12345678, using the last 4 digits (5678), so your main network address will be 22.214.171.124/16
Study the network topology, examine the network requirements, download the latest version of packet tracer from www.netacad.com, set up the network in Packet Tracer, and complete all four sub-questions. Provide screenshots of all the activities. Keep in mind that the IP addresses will be needed for each of the LAN interfaces.
Question 1 of Part B: (10 marks)
Follow VLSM scheme to identify the different subnets according to network requirements. Please analyse and design the best IP addressing scheme. Create a table that lists the following information: Router Interfaces/ IP Address (Highest)/ IP Address (Lowest)/ Subnet Mask/ Default Gateway). Please show working out. Note: The lowest IP addresses of each subnet should be given to the PCs. The highest IP addresses of each subnet are given as the default gateway.
Question 2 of Part B: (15 marks)
Following previous questions’ requirements, set up your network in Packet Tracer simulation software. Configure the three (3) routers:
- Name the routers and label them as HQ, Branch1 and Branch 2 (2 marks)
- Set the secret password as ‘class’ on HQ router only (2 mark) (note: password is case sensitive. marks will be deducted for the wrong password)
- configure interfaces/ PCs (2 marks)
- Configure TELNET on the HQ router with a password of ‘CISCO’ and (a suitable) MOTD (3 marks)
- Verify basic configuration and router operations (3 marks)
- What are the main components of a Cisco router? ( 1 mark )
- You need to keep a backup of the IOS of the routers. Please advise the two methods with correct procedures. (2 marks)
Question 3 of Part B: (3 marks)
Configure the other PCs and configure the necessary static routes (such as IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 exit interface) on three routers to make a successful connection between routers. “Show IP route” check and screenshot each router’s routing table.
Question 4 of Part B: (5 marks)
PING from a PC in LAN A to a PC in LAN E (checked in Packet Tracer file). What protocol is used by PING? What are the names of two PING messages? Provide screenshots of successful ping (1 mark) Record the information flow in EVENT LIST of simulation and explain the PDU information such as TYPE and involved layers in each stage (2 marks). Troubleshoot connectivity issues if pings were not successful, and write down your reflection of how to conduct a good connectivity test (2 marks).
Note: 2 marks are given for correct referencing.